Saturday, September 11, 2021, 8 pm.
A popular participant in our Partnerships in Education program, this innovative group now makes its debut on our concert series. It has been applauded by The Washington Post as “a perfect encapsulation of today’s trends in chamber music.” In January 2019 they received Chamber Music America’s prestigious Visionary Award in recognition of ensembles who have “led the field in creative thinking and innovation!”
At this concert the PUBLIQuartet will perform works from their latest CD, Freedom and Faith, which was nominated for a 2019 Grammy Award for Best Chamber Music/Small Ensemble Performance.
The program will include:
- Jessie Montgomery (b. 1981) Voodoo Dolls (2008)
- PUBLIQuartet MIND|THE|GAP: A-Tiskit, A-Taskit (1917) (Improvisations on the Ella Fitzgerald classic, which was inspired by a children’s nursery rhyme)
- Caroline Shaw (b. 1982) Valencia (2012)
- PUBLIQuartet MIND|THE|GAP: Nina! (2018) (Improvisations inspired by the music of Nina Simone)
- Elektra Kurtis Hasaposerviko (2012)
- Shelley Washington (b. 1991) Middleground (2016)
- PUBLIQuartet MIND|THE|GAP: Sancta Femina (2017) (Improvisations inspired by three female composers from the Medieval and Baroque eras)
- Jessica Meyer (b. 1974) Get into the Now (2017; written for PUBLIQuartet)
- I. The Pull
- II. Years of in Me
- III. Go Big or Go Home