Escher String Quartet with Jason Vieaux, Guitar; Saturday, October 21, 2023, 8:00 pm
Formed in 2005 in New York, the Escher String Quartet quickly caught the attention of key musical figures worldwide and has subsequently built on its success, becoming known for its beautifully blended sound, intelligent shaping and depth of musical perception. The quartet is a regular guest at Wigmore Hall and serves as Season Artists of The Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center in its home town of NYC. The quartet takes its name from Dutch graphic artist M.C. Escher, inspired by Escher’s method of interplay between individual components working together to form a whole.
Adam Barnett-Hart, Violin; Brendan Speltz, Violin; Pierre LaPointe, Viola; Brook Speltz, Cello; and Jason Vieaux, Guitar.
Grammy-winner Jason Vieaux, “among the elite of today’s classical guitarists” (Gramophone), is described by NPR as “perhaps the most precise and soulful classical guitarist of his generation”.
In appearances from New York’s Lincoln Center to Amsterdam’s Concertgebouw and the Seoul Arts Center, Jason Vieaux has cemented his reputation as an artist of brilliance and uncompromised mastery. Cited for his “eloquent and vibrant performances” on disc (Gramophone Magazine) he is hailed as “virtuosic, flamboyant, dashing and, sometimes ineffably lyrical” (New York Times) on stage.
The program for this evening includes:
- F. J. Haydn: Quartet in D Major, Op. 64, No. 5 “Lark“
- Castelnuovo-Tedesco: Guitar Quintet, Op. 143
- J. S. Bach: Siciliano and Presto (from Violin Sonata #1 in g minor, BWV 1001, arr. Vieaux)
- Pat Methany: Four Paths of Light, Movement II (composed for and dedicated to Mr. Vieaux)
- Antonio Jobim: A felicidade (arr. Roland Dyens)
- Boccherini: Guitar Quintet in D Major, G. 448 “Fandango“